McDowell College, 1850

From Centennial History of Missouri by Walter Stevens (1921); image is dated pre-Civil War. McDowell College was located at the former intersection of Ninth and Cerre streets, now occupied by a large parking lot. McDowell was built originally as a medical college according to designs by its founder with provisions for "defense against mobs" according to Stevens. McDowell College later moved to Eighth and Gratiot (see Christian Brothers College), which in turn was used as a Civil War prison.

No comments: