First Catholic Church, ca. 1805
From A History of Missouri from the Earliest Explorations and Settlements until the Admission of the State into the Union by Louis Houck (1908). This is a sketch of the first Catholic Church in St. Louis, built in 1776 of ash posts supplied by the townsfolk, who also paid a man by the name of Juan Cambas to construct the facility for a sum of 1480 livres (paid in deer skins). The home behind the church was built a bit later (in the mid-1780s) for the parish priest. The original church was built in order to house a bell, cast about 1772; the church was demolished in 1833 to make way for the Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France (colloquially known as the Old Cathedral).