St. Louis Mercantile Library, 1887
From Commercial and Architectural St. Louis by George Washington Orear (1888). This cut superbly depicts the six-story Mercantile Library at the southwest corner of Broadway and Locust. The building was erected on the site of the old Mercantile Library in 1887 at 510 Locust Street. At the time of the new building's construction, the library had around 2,800 members and more than 160,000 volumes circulating. The cornerstone of the building was laid by Henry Shaw, and the structure was in use as the library until 1998, when the facility moved to Normandy and on the campus of the University of Missouri-St. Louis. [Built St. Louis] has more information on the extant structure.