From Saint Louis: The Future Great City of the World by L.U. Reavis (1876). The Collier White Lead and Oil Works, bounded by 10th and Clark, produced a variety of oil and lead products from 1837 to 1889, when it merged with other major lead producers to create the White Lead Trust. It was one of the largest lead production factories in the United States. In 1890, the trust was broken up, and the company was incorporated into the National Lead Company. National Lead was renamed NL Industries in 1971; it is unclear when the facility on Clark Ave. was demolished.