From Commercial and Architectural St. Louis by George Washington Orear (1888):
"The Four Courts, a magnificent building, contains the headquarters of the police department, the health department, the several city courts, the court of criminal correction, first district police court, St. Louis criminal court, the jail and holdover. The main building fronts on Clark ave. the length of the block from 11th to 12th sts. and the architectural features of the structure are grand and imposing. The monster jail building is in the rear center while the Morgue occupies the northeast corner of the block, which is the property of the city."